Monday, June 1, 2009

Creation of the Project

Good afternoon, it's just after noon and all morning I've been thinking about starting a project. I had heard about a guy in Europe doing this, and I thought it was an awesome idea.

What's the idea you ask? To build my own guitar.... FOR FREE.

Sounds difficult? Fun? Impossible? Probably some of the first 2, hopefully none of the 3rd.

Here's his story: http://thefabulouseggs.co.uk/Project1.aspx

This guy Andy Mack wanted got this idea to build a guitar for free. Basically he wrote a lot of e-mails, made a bunch of phone calls and through service friendly companies (which he offered & gave advertising space & praise on his blog) he was given enough pieces to build his own Fender Stratocaster style guitar.

Since my story is just beginning let me tell you what's going on.

Years ago, I wanted to learn to play guitar and so my dad bought me a Gibson Epiphone. I played it a good bit and wanted to learn more. So for Christmas a year or so later I got an Epiphone Bass. I played these a lot and later bought a new Epiphone 5-string bass & sold my 4 string. Over the course of the last 10 or so years (when I had a lot more disposable income) I've built my collection to include a Rickenbacker 12 string, a Fender Jag-Stang, and my favorite guitar (because I've always wanted one thanks to Schoolboy rocker Angus Young) a Gibson SG.

Flash forward a few years, I've done some growing up, gotten married and soon plan to be getting on the baby train so as you can guess, money is a lot tighter. I've also been on the lookout for a Blue Gibson Flying V guitar. 1) because its an awesome guitar and 2) because it would be an ode to my wife (Blue eyes and her name is Victoria... so blue Flying V... get it? good.) Now I have never been able to find a blue one. I don't know if they don't make them or if they just stopped a while back but I have not seen any so even if price wasn't an issue (they cost about 1k new) finding one would be so I read this story earlier today and got super excited and I want to give this a go! Hopefully I'll have the same luck that Andy had and by Christmas I'll be playing my very own Flying V style guitar!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool about the blue flying V for Victoria.

    ReplyDelete